Monday, August 11, 2008

Fundraiser Donation - Whole, Half, Quarters



I do not know how many of you will have heard of the Bergen's - John and Eloise, who are missionaries to orphans, widows and the poor in Kenya. A few weeks ago, they were brutally attacked and left for dead by the very people who were supposed to be protecting them. John and Eloise have returned to Canada for further medical treatment and healing. It was not thought they would even survive the attack, and here they are, back in Canada!  If you know nothing about this horrific event, you can read about it at: 

John and Eloise  have made miraculous progress already, but both were in wheelchairs when they landed in Calgary the end of July. They have a very long road to recovery, but they are strong and already talking about returning to Kenya as soon as they are able.

To cover their medical expenses in both Kenya and Canada as well as their flight home, some compassionate friends have put together a live art auction fundraiser where 100% of the proceeds will go toward helping this incredible couple. I am donating "Whole, Half, Quarters" to the auction. This couple has forgiven the people who have maimed them for life, and are willing to place themselves in harm's way again for the sake of the children and the poverty-stricken in the area of Kenya where they work. They are doing something incredibly meaningful with their lives - they are making a huge difference for people who have very little hope.  What a privilege it is to support them in a very small way. In this opportunity I feel that through the artistic talent I have been given, I can in turn touch the lives of those kids, widows and families half way around the world. What a privilege to be a part of this!

If you live in the Calgary area, the auction is live on August 29th with bidding taking place from 7:00 - 10:00 p.m. You can preview the art from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.  
The auction is being held at Foothills Alliance Church, 333 Edgepark Blvd, N.W., Calgary, AB

I hope to see you there! 


10 comments:

Cynthia said...

What an incredible ordeal those people have been through, yet they have remained SO faithful!

Liam was looking over my shoulder as I was reading your post, and he yelled in my ear "ORANGES!" Nearly gave me a heart attack, but at least the little guy knows good art when he sees it :o)

Cynthia

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness - you make me laugh so hard, Cynthia! I can just see Liam yelling and you jumping! I do hope that this fundraiser is a great success...

By the way, I have some "bad" news for you. When you come for coffee, you won't see Sunflowers hanging on the wall. It sold the beginning of this month. It looks great in its new home though. :-)

Tell Liam I love his enthusiastic response to art! The boy is pretty good at picking things of value - look at who he chose for his mommy. Hehehe

Michelle Wiebe said...

What a beautiful piece for a beautiful cause. I hope great things come from this auction.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that people not only feel sympathy but actually do something practical when they hear of others in need. God bless you, Good Samaritan. I know you have tended my wounds a time or two when I have been the one lying beside the road hurting and bleeding.

May your painting be the healing oil rubbed into the wounds this couple has endured. May it raise a crapload of money so that this couple can go back to Kenya and show what forgiveness really looks like, and may their forgiveness of their attackers radically change the face of the world. We need more people working for peace like these saints are through their act of undeserved forgiveness.

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle,
I too hope that this auction is a huge success. The painting that you are contributing is amazing... I LOVE your bowls! It is good to be able to support various causes with our passion for art, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Hi Kim,

It has been quite a while since I've talked to you on this site! :-)

We all hope that the auction raises more money than the bills that the Bergen's have accumulated in medical expenses and the flight home. They intend to go back - but their medical progress will be the determining factor. Their bodies are badly broken...

How is your painting coming along? I would love to see your pieces in person! Have a fabulous holiday, and kiss those 3 little munchkins for me.

Don Gray said...

A lovely painting, and what an inspirational story--thank you for sharing it and for sharing your talent on their behalf.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful donation you're making to the fundraiser. There are so many things to like about the painting. I'm sorry read about what happened to this couple. I'll be keeping them in my prayers.

Paz

Unknown said...

Thanks, Don for your visit. I appreciate your comment. For anyone who is reading this - you should go to Don's site to see the ocean series of paintings he is doing. They are really wonderful, You will appreciate just how skilled he is, especially if you have ever tried to paint ocean!

Unknown said...

Paz - thank you for your kind comments. I do hope that every piece of art is sold that night! I have not gone looking for causes to donate my work to - but they keep popping up, and I feel it is something I can contribute...
Talk to you again soon!