Thursday, December 11, 2008

Environmental Watercolor Palette


A while ago, I bought some of those "Omega rich eggs" to see if there was a difference between them and organic eggs. Well, there was a difference - and it was in the form of the packaging! The Omega eggs came in this plastic container which really protected the eggs, but which seemed like so much excess, especially as it is plastic! However, it occurred to me that these could make wonderful palette trays, especially for watercolors!

Here you see that I have placed my paints in the center wells, and on the inner side of the top, I have labelled the colors with masking tape. That way I won't forget what the names of the colors are - and if I chose, I could even write whether the paints are staining, non-staining, whether they granulate or not, whether they are transparent or opaque... and even the brand name - if I wanted to. (I don't... the name of the color is enough for me - I tend to be rather lazy I think.) The wells are nice and deep, and so you can add quite a bit of water to dilute the pigment if you need to - or you could use the wells at the left side if you were going to make sure to use all the paint. (Otherwise, when you fold it up you would have a bit of a mess!)


Here is the palette, all folded together - which makes for a small and compact package on the shelf. I think these would travel well if you kept the paint moist instead of wet. They stack on top of one another quite well - and you can see the colors for each palette quite readily. I have created a reds/violets, a yellows,  and a blues/greens palette. I quite like the fact that I was able to save the plastic from the landfill, be environmentally conscious (although I could be chastised for buying the plastic in the first place), and ended up saving money with not needing to buy another palette for some new colors I am trying!

Thanks to all who weighed in on the one blog or two blogs question. It will definitely be one blog as there was not one person who thought 2 was the way to go. I have to admit - it is a relief to think that I can continue to blog on about all kinds of things in one place... :-)

Have a great weekend, everyone!




3 comments:

Cheryl McCarley said...

Very clever recycling! Thanks for clearing the tagging up for me. You're a trooper to do it three times!! I don't think I could come up with that many interesting things about myself! LOL.

theresamillerwatercolors said...

I love the idea! will try it myself!
Thanks for your kind comments in my entries, Joanne! They mean a lot to me!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! My kids were having me make finger jello for them. Now I can use it for my projects! Thanks for the great idea!