Monday, January 4, 2010

PEAR TREE



PEAR TREE
11"x 15" unframed
watercolor on 140 lb. Arches paper

I actually snuck into the studio over the holidays and finished up Pear Tree. I love the photo that this painting is based on. I know the foreground branches are very strong as they are so dark, but that is what drew me into the photo - the juxtaposition of the very dark branches and the gorgeous blue green of the pears. As well, I love all the negative space shapes. I was really happy to get this one done before the end of the year! Pear Tree, along with another painting of mine, Saskatoons (below), has been accepted into a 6 month show with Willow Studio's Annual Art Show, "Branching Out". Each piece of art needed to relate to the theme of trees in some way. The first three months of 2010, January through the first part of April, the artwork is shown here in Calgary. The show then moves to Saskatoon, SK from April until July. I am very pleased to have placed these 2 pieces with this innovative gallery. (Thanks, Jackie, for telling me about Willow Studio!) The invitation is below - if you get a chance to drop by the opening, most of the artists will be there. If not, then you have 3 months to check out the show. :-)

SASKATOONS
original watercolor on 300 lb Arches



Hope your holiday season was as wonderful as mine! We had lots of fun with family - food, movies, games, sledding... great memories of Christmas 2009. And now, it's on to new goals and new experiences in this new decade! I'll be posting my art goals sometime this month. When I did that last year, it really helped me to feel accountable, and to work hard to achieve them, so I am going to be transparent again this year. (Yikes!) Stay tuned...

No comments: