Wednesday, February 3, 2010

ROOSTERS - on the easel



A couple of years ago, while in Tijuana Mexico we visited a large riding/stables complex where my granddaughter was taking riding lessons. She was only 5 years old, and such a tiny child on top of a big horse. It was amazing to see her control the horse - she has a natural affinity with animals!

While there, I saw a number of big beautiful birds running around freely. This 20" x 24" acrylic canvas is going to be a painting of 2 of the roosters I caught on camera. I have never seen such beautifully colored roosters anywhere else except in Costa Rica! The roosters are now blocked in, so I figure I am about half way to finishing. It is SO GOOD to be back to a routine with being in my studio!!!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I LOVE the grass and the background! Don't change a detail of it. Did you use a palette knife? Details on the process for us aspiring art geeks, please! Love the background. Did I say that?

Unknown said...

Yes - the background is a combination of palette knife and brush strokes - very loose and free. Some of the grasses are cut into the wet paint with the palette knife while others are done with a rigger brush... it is quite a process to get the background to the stage you see it here - and it's not done yet! :-)