Wednesday, March 31, 2010

CHECKUP ON "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER"

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while now know that I began something in my life that I named "For the First Time Ever".

So often, we get stuck in one way of life, and don't venture out of our routines and comfort zone. Somewhere (on line? in a book? I'm not sure where) I read this question: "When was the last time you did something for the first time?". That got me to really thinking about my life, and whether I was truly ALIVE and LIVING it, or was I just floating along in old habits, old ways of thinking, familiar pathways? I could hardly answer the question - when WAS the last time I had done something new and different? And WHY had it been so long since I had experienced something different, something new-to-me?

That's when I determined that I would seek out 2 "for-the-first-time-ever" experiences each month. And I challenged anyone reading my blog or my tweets or my facebook page to consider doing the same. I also said I would be accountable to report on this each month - so that this challenge would be at the front of my mind, and I wouldn't let go of the idea!

So - what have been the 2 experiences this month? The first is in the area of my art! I have begun a new series of abstract textured acrylic paintings. This is a new art form for me, and I have had a blast working on these little 8" x 8" jewels. I've had great feedback on them from friends and readers, so I now want to create some larger pieces along the same lines.


The second "for-the-first-time-ever" experience was a trip to Ixtapa, Mexico to an all-inclusive resort for a week. We stayed at Las Brisas Resort - a fabulous get-away for my husband and me. We have just returned, and I feel so rested and rejuvenated! And I now have so many reference photos for new paintings that I am pumped to begin, as soon as I download them from my camera that is! Here is a picture of the view from our balcony...


How about you? Did you try a new recipe this month, take a hike in a new area, try a new art form? Last month, I had e-mails letting me know of new experiences you had - and it was such an encouragement to me! Let me know again what you are up to and how it has enriched your life. :-)

2 comments:

Bonnie Heather said...

Great idea! I'll work on it and keep you posted. Something new.....

Unknown said...

Hi Bonnie! It's really nice to meet you. :-) Thanks for joining in on the "first time ever" idea... I am finding it is lots of fun, and I am loving doing things for the first time. It is actually fairly easy (so far) - things just keep popping up that are new to me! I'll be waiting to hear from you...