Wednesday, June 8, 2011

CANCER

My nephew, Jeff, is riding in the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer coming up next month. It is really expensive to enter the race, and he is fund raising his entry fee with a silent auction. I have donated 3 framed photos and 3 of my textured acrylic paintings for the auction, in the hopes of helping him achieve his goal. 
We all think cancer won't come to visit in our family, or amongst our friends. But that is just not so anymore. For us, it has been friends, and cousins, as well as my mother-in-law who have died of various cancers over the last several months and years. But weeks ago it has come calling on my own family. My husband was just diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. We just went to the Tom Baker Cancer Clinic on Friday, and are encouraged that treatment is a ways off as his lymphocyte levels are not high enough to require treatment yet. And we are doing some things on our own to help his immune system...still, wouldn't it be wonderful if the cure was just around the corner? Thanks Jeff, for riding to help your Uncle Syd amongst so many others. 

No comments: