Tuesday, February 12, 2013

CHARCOAL ON CANVAS PORTRAIT

This is another charcoal portrait, done on canvas. I am enjoying this one more than the first, as I am more familiar now with how the canvas takes the charcoal than when I did the first one. I hope you don't mind that I am showing the progression of the portrait. It is 16" x 16", so takes some time to complete, especially as I want it to be quite realistic. And of course, life always happens, doesn't it? So here are the first stages, after the prepping of the canvas to accept the charcoal.

After the background is in, as usual, I begin with the eye.

Once both eyes are in, and I am satisfied with this beginning, I move on to the next step...placing highlights.
 Once I have located the highlights, I tend to work from top left across the canvas (because I am right handed).
There is a lot of work that will go into just the hat, let alone the face!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking good! :-)