Thursday, May 20, 2010

New Life

Sometimes, life has a way of taking you in different directions than you anticipated. Right now, I am getting very little done in the way of new work which I can show you. I am doing a commission of 8 paintings, but I cannot post them as they are gifts, and we don't want the surprise spoiled if the recipients happen to check my blog. So that means no artwork to show you.

As well, for the past 5 weeks, I have been teaching a student painting. She is 10 years old, and quite gifted artistically. The weeks have flown by, with next week being our final 6th lesson. She has learned a lot - and I think she will use the techniques I've taught her for many years.


Leah strengthening her original drawing of a moose (based on one of my photos)


Leah transferring her drawing to the canvas in preparation for painting

As many of you know, we are now a family of 7 people - which makes time for painting less than when there were only 2 of us here. Meals, cleaning and laundry all are taking more hours and more effort. HOWEVER, I am NOT complaining. Having my family around me for a year is a great privilege, and I do not put painting ahead of family!

We are into our "growing season", so I am trying to get my garden planted. I now have the entire space cleared of weeds, and half the potatoes planted. I had hoped to begin "square foot gardening" this year, but since my husband has had a few health issues this past week, I don't know if that will happen. Instead, I may end up planting in straight rows again this year. *sigh* See how "life" can change the best of plans?

All this to say, I am thinking of my next painting project, and hope to get to it soon... so please be patient as you visit my blog. Life is busy - and I don't want to miss any nice warm weather we might get. We've waited a LONG time for something other than snow! Life is busy with children, dogs, gardening, playing, and life in general. It is good to be alive, active, happy and healthy. It's a "new life" stage... and a great one at that. :-)

No comments: