Monday, August 9, 2010

The Happiness Project - cleaning the studio


I have been reading a book named "The Happiness Project" which I got from our local public library. When I first put this book on reserve, I was 216th in queue! So, it has been an incredibly long time that I patiently waited my turn to read this book which was recommended on a blog I regularly visit.

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the book, and would say it is an "okay" easy read... but the concept is quite brilliant. The author, Gretchen Rubin, decided she wanted to live her life being as happy as she could, and she then took steps to ensure that happiness became her way of life. The value of reading this book isn't necessarily in the steps she took and how she struggled to create happiness, but rather in the self-reflection that takes place in MY life as I read what she was willing to do to live happy.

Living happy, of course, does not mean being free of sorrow, guilt, pain, frustration and so on... but it does mean acting in the way you want to feel. Being more loving, kind, empathetic, committed and so on so that one feels good about what they are spending their one and only life being and doing. I think it helps me to realize whether the things I am spending my time on actually line up with my values and priorities, and whether I am living my life with purpose. Anything that helps me realign to live with purpose and intent will ultimately create happiness in my life, I think!

Gretchen Rubin also began a blog which you can visit and enjoy.

I have been cleaning my 1000 sq ft studio this week - and THAT has made me happy! I have not only cleaned and sorted, but I have rearranged to get ready for next month, when I begin to teach art students. Two large boxes of art supplies arrived yesterday from Dick Blick Art Materials. The turn-around from placing order to receiving the order was amazingly quick!!! I definitely would recommend them as their pricing and service are excellent. I also received my order from one of my favorite Canadian art stores - KROMA artist's acrylics. I first found this little store in Vancouver on Granville Island a couple of years ago when we were visiting some friends. Last year, another friend went out to B.C., and picked up some paints from there for me, but this year, I ended up ordering online. I love how creamy and smooth the paint is, and how consistent and brilliant the colors are. I am now a very happy artist! Don't you find a clean studio and new supplies inspiring?

Here is a picture of my set-up... a few more chairs and we're ready to go. And, yes, I have a blue floor in my studio!


Have a great weekend, everyone!

5 comments:

Jacqueline Johns - Your Happy Life Mentor said...

Yes, I have to say that on the odd occasion my house is clean and tidy, I am very happy!!

Don't forget to be grateful for each and every one of your students...this will add to your happiness immensely.

Good luck with your classes, and continue to

Live Life Happy!

Bonnie Luria said...

The concept of a Happiness Project would be a good antidote for the " If, Then " syndrome.
IF I do/get/have/buy/know this, THEN I will be happy.
A lifelong quest isn't it!
One thing I absolutely do know and agree with you about: cleaning the studio and new art supplies. Works every time.
You and your blue floor look ready for the next creative waves.

Unknown said...

Hi Jacqueline,
Nice to meet you! You must have a lot of people visit your blog to find out how to be happy! Seems there are many people who are miserable in their search for "self"! I am grateful for every day I live, for all my friends & family, for being able to have art in my life, and definitely for the students that I can share time and experience with while having fun.. :-) Thanks for your visit.

Unknown said...

Hi Bonnie,
Truer words could not be spoken than those that you have here... happiness does not come or last long with the "if/then". The if/then was always taught in school as a consequence type of exercise, as an outcome not a state of being... I find true happiness does not usually come from an exterior source of getting or achieving, but rather from an inner place-well, you get the idea! And from that inner place, when I get art supplies and a tidy studio, I feel happiness. :-) Wahoo!

Unknown said...

I saw the nice mention of my book, The Happiness Project, here! I very much appreciate those kind words and you shinning a spotlight on my work!! Thanks and best wishes,
Gretchen