Wednesday, May 11, 2011

PENCIL PORTRAIT OF ELIZABETH

Elizabeth
9 x 12" original pencil portrait


















Last week I was delivering two paintings to one of my collectors. It was a beautiful sunny day, and we sat outside in the sun until a cool breeze came up, then we moved inside. Soon, her daughter, son-in-law, and their 4 kids arrived for an impromptu visit as they were bicycling in the neighbourhood. (They live about 2 miles from each other.)


Their oldest girl, Elizabeth, is a beautiful 8 year old with the biggest blue eyes ever! I happened to have my camera with me, so I convinced her to go outside with me so I could take a few photos of her in the sunlight, to practice my portrait drawing skills. I chose to do this pose, as the light was bouncing around on the planes of her face, and on the top of her head. The wind was blowing the loose strands of her hair, which I found quite wonderful.


 It was lots of fun to do this  pencil portrait as it is going to be a surprise gift for Elizabeth's grandmother. I know she is going to love it! And I think my skills are improving. 

2 comments:

tess stieben said...

The portraits are coming along nicely. If you have a chance when in Calgary please do stop by The House on 10th street in kensington. My solo show is hung and I admit the Emmaus Fine Art Group outdid themselves on excellent arrangement and hanging of the paintings.
the show is up till June 10. big Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Another beauty. I love all your drawings. All your artwork.

Paz