Wednesday, June 22, 2011

LESSON LEARNED - MASKING FLUID DISASTER AVERTED













I had hoped to be a lot further along with this watercolor, but I have had a HUGE problem! I want to share it with you so that you don't have to go through it too! When I masked out the figures, I used a masking liquid which was the last of the bottle. It went on just fine - and I really liked this fluid because it does not stain the paper yellow the way so many masking fluids do. BUT when it was time to remove the masking fluid, all my troubles began.
It turned to a sticky glob which would not let go. I could not roll it with my fingers, I could not use my rubber cement pick up eraser to get it off, I could not use a palette knife to lift it. It was so badly stuck on that I thought I was going to have to throw out the painting and start over again. I kept at it for almost 2 hours - and finally got the masking fluid off. I will have to replace my pickup eraser though, because every little piece that stuck to the eraser was like a nightmare substance that had cling-on abilities beyond belief. I had to cut the eraser and throw out the piece of the eraser with the fluid attached! So now I have a little nub of an eraser, but I can continue with the painting now. Whew! A disaster narrowly averted. 
And the lesson I have learned? When your masking fluid is getting old, or you are near the end of the bottle, just THROW IT AWAY!!! It is just not worth ruining a painting to use that last little bit. I now have a new bottle - but I couldn't find my old favorite. That's okay - I have a love-hate relationship with it after this experience.

No comments: