Thursday, September 8, 2011

FALL AT BRAGG CREEK

Sometimes, when you are doing a commission, clients don't want the work displayed on the internet. And sometimes, you get the honor of working with a client who is happy to see and share the process of the painting, who considers it all part of the excitement of the creative process.


That is the client I am working for right now. She is happy to see the process of her piece being built layer by layer. So, I am going to post some of the process her painting has gone through to this point. I think I will be done by the end of this month...I hope so. It takes a long time for oil to cure when you work the way I do - layer upon layer. But I love the results - so for me it is totally worth the time and effort.


Fall at Bragg Creek underpainting

Here you get an idea of the size of the canvas on my easel- 30" x 40". It is large, but not so large as to be unwieldy. I did the underpainting in acrylic, locating where the elements of the painting would be situated. The very far distance has mountains against the sky, then foothills, then dark of evergreens against bright yellows of poplar trees. In the middle ground will be various layers of bushes and grasses. In the foreground is the creek, rocks, reeds, and the reflections of the overhead clouds in the water. 

I have already painted in the first layer of blue water and reflected clouds in oil paint, as well as the blue of the sky. Looking good already!

No comments: