Saturday, February 25, 2012

PORTRAITS AND DREAMS

Sydney's Orange Hat


The last couple of weeks have been crazy busy - but with life events that have left me little time or energy for doing my own work in the studio. Even my blogging slipped...sorry!


Since I don't have any new work to show you (other than eyes, noses, and mouths that I have been teaching my students to draw...), I thought I would post my first attempt at a portrait in watercolor, which was back in 2003! I can't believe how many years have passed and how quickly...


This portrait is of my first grandchild, and only granddaughter. Sydney was born just five days before the 9/11 event which changed the world... At this time, I was just beginning to explore painting, and most of my work was done on holidays and during summer as I was an elementary school teacher -full time. Enough said! But I had a dream that someday I would do art whenever I wanted, in my own space.


What I loved about this portrait was the combination of colors and how beautiful the blush on her cheek turned out. At times this was an exercise in frustration, but I persevered until I got a result that I was happy with. Since then, I have learned so very much, but I still like this painting and think I learned much from just tackling a project when I knew very little. 


If you are just toying with the idea of painting, or of doing something in particular, I encourage you to try it. Persevere. Learn from doing. It will be worth the effort and the time. Since doing this painting, I have left teaching in the public system, and am now a full time artist. I now teach art to students in my own home studio. And I love what I do. You can live your dreams too. It takes courage, and there are times when your hopes may be dashed. But continue anyway. Get back on the road. You will be going toward that dream, and who knows what adventures you'll have along the way? It will be worth it all - I know. And I'll be cheering you on!!!

No comments: