Sunday, December 8, 2013

NEW WORK

20" X 20"
VENETIAN PLASTER
"LEAF #1"
Last spring, almost a year ago now, I took a course from a wonderful artist, Adele Woolsey. It was a 2 day workshop on using Venetian Plaster for art...and what fun it was! I learned so much, and definitely wanted to incorporate her techniques and the plaster in my work. I began this piece in Calgary later in the spring, but then had to pack it away after our acreage sold. 

Now that we are settled in our new home on Vancouver Island, I decided to complete this piece to get back into the routine of painting once again. It is based on one of the pieces that Adele had at the workshop, and I could not be more pleased with how it turned out! In person, it is quite impressive as it is large and beautifully rich in texture and color. The plaster drips over the sides of the gallery-depth board, and makes the sides interesting as well. I will be doing many more of this type of work as it is a "resting place" from the painting which I do that is more representational, or realistic. Wish you could see it in person! :-)

No comments: