Sunday, March 16, 2014

DOIN' AN IRISH JIG

One of my favorite things is music. I have had this love from my earliest memories. When I was 4 years old, my mother had my sister and I sing "He's Too Fat For The Chimney" in a church Christmas concert. At the end of the song, we were to open our arms at about shoulder height, waiting until the applause. I guess, in my enthusiasm, I brought my arms up really fast and smacked my hand into my sister's face! (She was probably closer than when we had practiced.) Mom said we "brought the house down".  

As I was growing up, my Dad always sang Irish tunes which he loved, as his ancestors came from Ireland. As well, he sang songs from his days in the Canadian Air Force. He would sing and dance with me, twirling me about... To this day, I remember many of the words from those songs!  At one point in my life, I was the singer for a very talented piano player who played those wartime songs for seniors in nursing homes. It was very touching to see the tears in their eyes as they joined in singing their favorites, belting out the chorus. 

When Riverdance came out, I loved every moment of the production - the hauntingly beautiful music, the fantastic singing, the Irish dancing! It was just spectacular. And my love of Irish music continues to this day...

Tonight Syd and I, along with some friends, are going to hear a band from the Island named Celtic Chaos. I am anticipating that I will know some of the songs they will sing, and even get to attempt a jig or two! :-) Okay...maybe not the jig. But even so, it should be a good evening, and will bring back lots of good memories! 

Celtic Chaos

No comments: