Sunday, March 22, 2015

LEAFING OUT

A few months ago, I posted about how I could no longer find Venetian Plaster by Behr. After searching every store in my area, I contacted the head office of Behr in the States, and found that they have stopped manufacturing it.

I did find some companies in the U.S. that make their own venetian plaster, but as it is very heavy, it would have cost a fortune to ship to me...and that was just not going to make a painting affordable!

My last-ditch effort was contacting the artist who taught the workshop where I learned about the plaster, and guess what? She had bought every single can of Venetian Plaster in all of Home Depot's warehouses in the city of Calgary before it disappeared forever! AND, she agreed to sell me 2 cans of it!!! So I now have enough Venetian Plaster to do quite a number of pieces. By the time I use up these cans, I hope to have found another supplier in Canada that is willing to ship to me at a decent rate.

Here are 2 pieces I just finished varnishing. I love the texture of these pieces. People just cannot seem to pass by them without touching - and that is just the effect I want! :-) Click on the photos to see these up close.

9" x 12" x 2" ventian paster on birch wood

20" x 20" x 2" venetian plaster on birch wood

No comments: