Monday, February 15, 2010

First Time Challenge Event

Today, in keeping with my "First Time Challenge", my sweet husband and I spent most of the day in the city of Calgary. After I had my hair cut, we visited Masters Gallery Ltd. - a visit which was a first time experience. It is a really beautiful gallery, laid out on two levels, with a great variety of art work: sculptures, glass blown objects, pottery work, art books, and of course, many different styles and mediums of paintings. The staff was very welcoming, offering cookies and coffee, without being pushy or obtrusive. There were a couple of artists whose work I found very exciting and inspiring. They even had one watercolorist whose work was amazing in terms of how he portrayed light! His name is Keith Thomson. You can view his work here. Beautiful work, and in a size that is huge for watercolor! I totally enjoyed the visit.

Afterward, we traveled to one of my favorite places to visit - the Calgary's Farmer's Market on what used to be the Currie Barracks grounds.


We had lunch at Simple Simon's Pies (I had a vegetable curry pie, and my husband had the pepper steak pie). We wandered throughout the market place - it is fairly large - and I bought handmade soaps, a fabulous artichoke/spinach dip, organic apples, and some amazingly gorgeous flowers to paint - purple and orange tulips and various shades of orange and red Gerber daisies. We also picked up some organic produce, and wandered through the many stalls, enjoying the sights, smells and sounds.

All in all, it was a wonderful start to the long weekend here in Alberta! I love having "experiences" - spending time in unusual places, enjoying the company of my husband, family and/or friends! And I now have had one of my two "first time" experiences for this month of February! Hope you all had a great Valentine's Day.


1 comment:

L.Holm said...

Sounds like the perfect day, Joanne! Happy V'day!