Monday, October 25, 2010

Twitter Opportunities to Make a Difference

Lots of people wonder why they should spend time on social networks - and I agree, social networks can be a big consumer of time. But there are many things I actually appreciate about social networks, and I wanted to let you know about one which just happened today.


On Twitter, I just received an invitation from a fellow artist who lives in Norway. His name is David Sandum, and he has come up with a solution to a problem in his community. Like many places these days, his local library has had its funding cut, and an article in the paper indicated that they would not be able to order the children's books which they need. 


Now, I don't know about you, but our children loved to go to the library and take out books to read. It saved me a great deal of money to take books out on loan instead of buying them, and the variety of material was something I could not match with our meagre and limited income. 
Garden Variety Sunflower
12" x 18"
acrylic on canvas
ready for sale at my home art show on Nov 13  & 14
My grandchildren use the library and love to take out books about things in which they are interested or by authors they have grown to love.  I use the local library to take out self-instruction books, books that have to do with art, or gardening, or cooking, or a number of other wonderful and interesting topics. To me, the library and books are an essential part of the community.


David Sandum thought of a way in which he could help the public library in his community, and he extended the invitation to all artists he was in touch with on Twitter. Any artist who wishes to participate is to create an original painting on a postcard sized support, and mail it to David. He will work with the library director to hang all the work which comes in, which will then be sold for a nominal amount. All the money collected will go to purchase the children's books for the library. It is a wonderful idea - a "real life Twitter art exhibit" as he calls it. I just think it's a great way to make a difference to children in another part of the world!


For more information on this project, visit David's blog, or message him if you are on Twitter and wish to participate. His name is @davidsandumart

No comments: