Wednesday, October 16, 2013

BEGINNINGS AND ENDINGS

FINALLY, I am able to tell you that 3 months after selling our acreage, of living out of suitcases, of changing beds 18 times, we are in our new location!!!! As I am typing these words, I am sitting at my kitchen counter, with the fireplace warming the air, looking out over a calm ocean to the islands in the distance. What a journey we have been on over the last while...an ending to our life in Alberta, to our living in the country on an acreage, and so much more... but a beginning as well - to living by the ocean, in British Columbia, on an island (even though it is a huge island, and feels more like mainland!).

Our furniture arrived almost a week ago now, and we have been madly unpacking. So far, we have our kitchen, bedroom. living and dining rooms unpacked and arranged. Now, we have to attack the second bedroom, and then my studio. It is piled high with boxes - a most daunting task for sure. But I am itching to get back to my easel, so I will tackle it with gusto! :-)

The end of September, we attended our nephew's wedding, and what a wonderful and joyous occasion that was! My husband and his sisters commissioned a charcoal portrait of the couple as our wedding gift to them. It was such fun to do - I LOVE it when the faces begin to "come off the page"! Here are some photos of them opening the gift, and one of the completed portrait. I can't wait to do more of these charcoal gems, portraits in oil, and to begin a beach series in watercolor. Guess I had better get to work putting together that studio as soon as possible. 

Pictures of our house and our view will be coming soon. Until then, thanks for waiting for me to return to this blog. Happy fall.




1 comment:

Pamela said...

Joanne, the portrait is simply gorgeous! I'm sure the bride and groom were delighted with it.

Welcome home to BC...I guess you'll have to change the heading on your page here about being an artist living in Alberta...their loss...our gain!

Hugs,
Pam